Our plugin offers a simple and free WordPress autoresponder solution. Here’s a quick video of how it works:
I set out to write a full comparison of autoresponder plugins. I searched, I tried, and I got discouraged.
Instead, this post will cover our own solution with splashy video. No more, no less. If you have less than 2000 subscribers, it won’t cost you a dime to set up. Ready?
What is a typical WordPress autoresponder?
It’s an email that is sent automatically to someone after he does something. In Wysija, there are 2 such events:
- When someone subscribes to a mailing list.
- When someone subscribes to your site as a WordPress user.
For example, you can send 3 emails with instructions for your online course. Each are sent a week apart, after someone subscribes. This often called a “drip campaign” in marketing terminology.
Why are autoresponders useful?
Because people check their emails more than they visit your site. It’s a good to trick to draw the crowds back to your site.
In any case, you can’t possibly send all these single emails yourself. Automate instead.
When are autoresponders annoying?
- When you send too many of them in short period of time.
- When your content isn’t interesting, or old.
- When the emails are not personalized.
Can the activation email be an autoresponder?
Yes, you can use it as an autoresponder, like offering a download link.
Indeed, Wysija sends an activation email after someone subscribes so he can confirm his email address. But beware of this technique because:
- If you have an important link, your subscriber might forget to confirm his subscription in the first place
- Wysija’s activation email can’t be redesigned and offers no stats.
Where is the autoresponder in Wysija?
Yes, we agree, it’s a little obscure. Bad user interface on our end. See the video above or this screenshot of Step 1 of a new email:
Is a free plugin really right for this?
It sure is. If it’s not free, it’s at least a lot cheaper.
There are a few things you need to consider:
- Some of the extra features found in Aweber, Constant Contact and MailChimp are not yet available in Wysija.
- Wysija doesn’t send emails itself. Make sure you pick the right sending method to avoid falling in the spam box. It costs a bit, but it’s worth it.
Will Wysija improve its simple autoresponder?
Yes, we will.
For example, some users want to send in some time windows. Others want to group the autoresponders in a series.
Give us your feedback in the comments below and we’ll be happy to read them.